Tuesday, June 1, 2010

How a Computer Works (or, at least what the guys at Best Buy told me...)

So, for the last few weeks, we've been discussing parts of a computer, and looking at what they do, and how integral they may be to a computer system.  As of late, I've detailed one specific part, watched many others, and for this week's class, I had to construct one myself.

After discussing options with people online, in store, and through general conversation, I came to a conclusion of what I want, and that's accessibility.  I want to be able to access my network wherever I am, without worry for finding a password for a site or receiving slow access points to connect to.  I came to some realizations about myself, and what I need in a computer, and that's radically different from what I wanted a few years back.

I realize that I use way more online programs than I do installed programs.  I can use PowerPoint and Word, but I've been using Google Docs much more frequently, and that is something that I now take into consideration with my computer.  I think it's good to have a video editing program, but most laptops come with some sort of program already installed,  There's a lot of freeware out there, and I'm fine with that.

So where do I spend the money?  Processing.  I want to be able to run many items at once, and the processor is the key there.  I literally have no clue previous to this class if I ever really thought about the RAM, hard drive, or processor.  With the amount of online items that I have, I'm not sure that I really need a ton of hard drive, anyway.  However, I do need the power to run through my programs quickly, and processing is the key.

Also, it sucks to lose EVERYTHING on my computer.  That happened 2 years ago.  Since then, I've invested a bit more in backing up and protecting my computer.  I used to think that was a waste of money.  After Dell warranties covered my new hard drive, though, I changed my tune.

Overall, I could go into every single part, but this is what stood out to me the most.  You can choose to agree or argue, but either way, I'll be ready to discuss.  Hear from you soon.

No comments:

The Difference Between 3 and 33