Sunday, February 28, 2010

Leadership---Wrapping It Up...

As we wrap up the end, I was asked to summarize my experiences by answering the following questions:

* How has your definition of leadership altered or been reinforced? Your definition of teacher leadership?

I think that it's helped me to see the areas in which I'm deficient. I might not agree with some of the decisions that are made, but I need to see what's best for the school, and that I may need to give a little in order for things to continue to flow in a positive manner. I also need to do a better job shielding my thoughts; many emotions or thoughts that I have are painfully obvious, so I need to do a better job masking that. As for my definition of leadership, I think it's changed a little. I still feel that the qualities I originally identified as leadership qualities still exist; this class has helped me to elaborate on those qualities, and point out specifically where I see it in the school.

* Has your opinion of your leadership potential changed?


I think I've adapted to try and see the leadership styles that younger teachers may have. I was stuck in my own world, and it never occurred to me that, even though I was only 13 years out of college, my ideas and abilities would already be considered 'old school.' That has allowed me to look for newer qualities for the young teachers, which is a bit difficult at my school, as I'm one of the younger teachers myself. However, I'm now trying to scan and scour to find young leaders that I can be part of a new school nucleus to exist after the veteran teachers eventually move on. That's how I've changed.


* Do you agree with our textbook's assertion about "improving education from within"? If so, what will you do to help?


Yes, because I believe that if you don't emulate and present the qualities that you want your students to have, it just won't happen. As educators, we constantly need to look at our performances, and see if there are areas that can be improved. It's fine to be content with our performance, but we should always strive for improvement. Isn't that what we want the students to do?

As for me, I plan to lead by example. I plan to show through my actions that I plan to constantly review my class's work to try to find new and innovative ways to improve upon it. I plan on exmperimenting with new activities and programs, and dabbling with differentiation in order to try to make my students as prepared as possible for the future that lies in front of them.

That sums up my experiences with class. As always, please leave any feedback for me, and I'll happily respond.

No comments:

The Difference Between 3 and 33