Saturday, March 20, 2010

RSS-PECT, find out what it means to me!

For this week's class, we started talking about RSS.  I remember going into a little bit of RSS a year or two ago, and sure enough, I found my Google Reader site (with 850 unread articles!)  Needless to say, I haven't checked my Reader lately.  Now it's time to get back into it, but it's important to get into why I need to try this again.

Right now, I'm currently managing 45 websites from my students, along with the Moodle page for the school, the wiki page for my class, and another 45 websites that my students just created.  It's literally a guess-and-check hunt to try to see if everyone is updating their pages.  That, and it takes a LONG TIME to check everyone's page.  As a result, I'm trying to toy around with RSS to set up a feed in which I can get automatic updates from my students when they update their sites.  This would allow me to directly visit the sites that I know have changed, and be able to evaluate and assess right away.  I think I was overwhelmed with RSS 1 year ago; now, I'm looking at it for purposes to help me manage my time and efforts better than I normally do.

I think that it will also help me with organizing the sites that I visit for information.  I tend to visit 15-20 sites every time that I'm on the web, and that easily takes an hour or two.  Again, to better manage my time, I really should subscribe to my favorite sites, and filter through the updates to see what I want to read and what I don't.  I think I really just need to have the time to sit down and set this up.  Of course, it's due for class this week, so that may motivate me a bit to get it done.  In all honesty, though, it may help me cut 30-45 minutes of jumping around and searching sites---instead, I can have it all sent to me.

Overall, there's a lot to be learned about RSS.  I don't think that I'm an expert by any means.  However, I do see myself becoming a bit more comfortable with using it.  I think that as I understand it more, I'll become more effective at utilizing it in my everyday routine.  The key now is to just start using it.

Anyway, here's the link to my Google Reader---follow if you'd like, or give suggestions as to what I'm missing.

http://www.google.com/reader/shared/corcoranbryan?hl=en

Well, that's a wrap.  As always, leave any feedback below.

1 comment:

Shelly said...

It's amazing how many sites have a RSS feed. I was excited to learn about them because I saw the RSS symbol and had no idea what that meant. I am hoping that in using the RSS feed that it will help me with the time I spend on the internet.

The Difference Between 3 and 33