Sunday, May 9, 2010

Computer Architecture (aka What Does This Part Do?)

Well, it's down to the wire, and we're on to the last class-computer architecture.  I just got off of the phone with my dad, and I joked with him that I could actually be able to keep up with him in conversations after this class!  I guess that what I'm saying is, I'm not quite so good at the technical part of computers.

How can that be?  I'm the Technology Leader for my school!  Well, it's simple-I never had an interest in it.  I like to drive my car; it doesn't mean that I want to know how every car part works, though.  I've had that same attitude towards computers.  There are people in this world who get paid to take care of that aspect of technology, and I trust them.  However, I suppose I should learn a LITTLE about the make-up of computers; it would certainly up the authenticity of my position as the Tech. Leader if I could actually define and detail specific parts of the computer.

So what do I currently know about computer parts?  Not much.  I know the components of a computer, and I've done a little with replacing and upgrading parts, but I'm a bit of a novice in that area.  To be honest, I haven't had to replace much on the computers, other than the ENTIRE HARD DRIVE for my laptop a few years back.  For the most part, though, I've been lucky with my computers.  With that in mind, I haven't had a necessity to take apart a computer, and other than the buying process, I don't give much attention to the specifications of a computer.

However, after class, I think that I know more than I'm letting on.  I do have general knowledge of the parts of the computer, and the history aspect with computers I found very interesting.  I knew about the revolution of sorts in the 70's, and I was aware of the exploration of computers from the 40's to the 60's.  However, I find it amazing that we find crumbs of history hundreds of years ago.  That's something that simply blows my mind, that people had these ideas and were clearly ahead of their time.

Now, I simply need to explore more about the components of a computer system.  I think that's where my confusions lie, and I'm the kind of person that isn't going to learn about it unless I dive head-first into it.  So, if you'll excuse me, I have to go take apart a computer and figure out what those parts are.  Where's the sound card, again? 

Until next time...

1 comment:

~Kirstin said...

I am glad to see that you are giving yourself more credit than you first let on... You are right - you do need to know about the under the hood stuff :). You are a tech leader in your school and I challenge you to have the full package. Think about the tech coord license....

The Difference Between 3 and 33