Thursday, May 27, 2010

OS----What Did I Learn (Other Than What OS Stands For...)

For the last few weeks, I've been toying around with different activities involving OS, or Operating Systems.  Here's my insight on the situation.

One, I understand more than I think that I do.  I think that the overwhelming part is that all of these OS systems will change within the next five years.  I originally knew about OS systems because of games I wanted to play on my computer as a kid.  Different games had different system requirements, so I learned what my computer had, and what I could put on it.

Once I got into teaching, I guess I really didn't think about it much.  By that, I mean that I had a PC at home for 10 years, and a Mac at school.  I was using 2-3 different operation systems without putting a lot of thought into it.  Yes, there were some differences, but nothing to the extent that I couldn't use it.  I just adjusted and used whatever was in front of me.  With Grad. School, I've been the same.  I could use a Mac if I needed to.  They're just so pricey, I haven't ever seriously considered buying one.  Not that I'm cheap, but there is a considerable price difference, and I've been thinking of that over OS systems.

However, a lot of items and assignments have at least opened my eyes to what the OS systems can do.  I think the item that stood out the most was the security.  It sounds like the Mac OS systems are very strong and protective; I guess I wish I could get similiar feedback about my Windows Vista system!!!  Oh well...

So what has this done for me?  If anything, it's informed me.  I have an idea about what OS systems to maybe think about using in the future, especially when purchasing a new computer.  I have a bit of a better understanding about the positives of both, as well as the shortcomings.

Overall, I'm nowhere near a master in this category; on the other hand, I'm not necessarily a goober about it, either.

Well, by all means, please do share your comments below.  Thanks, and I'll hear from you soon.

No comments:

The Difference Between 3 and 33