Sunday, November 9, 2008

Great Idea in Theory


Don't you wish all kids had this option?

I knew about this, because a few kids in my class are currently applying for this.  What comes to mind is, what happens after this?  I think it's great that families are getting a chance to get technology, even if it's not financially feasible.  However, what the family said in the article struck a chord:  How do they use it now?

This flashed into my mind when I was at my grad. school class this week.  I often create notes for my kids to use in Math using Powerpoint.  However, what to do when a family doesn't have it?  I've started experimenting with a few online sites that have the same features as Powerpoint.  Why?  More accessibility.  Just because I have a program doesn't mean that everyone else has it.  I guess that I have to be more open to other programs that are out there in order to get my help out to a bigger audience.

Anyway, there are perks are pains.  Some of the features were similar.  I like Powerpoint more, simply because there seems to be more features, and it's a tad easier to navigate.  Of course, when you pay for software, you would expect that.  It's manageable, and I think that I'll toy around with some online tools in the future; however, I think we need to get the families of our kids used and introduced to these programs, too.  There's a lot out there; if it overwhelms me, I can only imagine what it would do to a family who has a computer for the first time ever...

1 comment:

Tech-lou-ology said...

It would be great if we had technology for all students (or even more important food and shelter). It's good to reflect upon what we do and have and how we ensure the students or others who are not where you are can move forward and learn as well.

The Difference Between 3 and 33