Sunday, November 16, 2008

Online Publishing...The Wave of the Future?

So this week's class assignment was to look into online publishing sites, and how to incorporate them into the class.  After seeing all the freeware that existed (glad I just bought Office 2007...), it then came into focus as to how to use this within the class.  I thought I'd give it a try, so I started the initial set-up with my class, and we'll be doing this throughout the week with my class.  So here's my review thus far:

Positives
  • Kids seem interested in ANYTHING involving the computer.
  • Feedback could be immediate-I can even give feedback on their paper as they're writing.
  • Saves paper (guess I can buy some Birkenstocks, or whatever eco-friendly wear today's kids are wearing...)
  • Saves me the time of HANDWRITING my responses (be glad I'm typing this blog--if it was handwritten, that would be another story...)
Negatives
  • Takes away some of the humanization of teaching.  I've learned some of the kids' personalities by sitting with them and reading their papers with them.
  • Once this is at home, there's no proof that the kids wrote this--technically, anyone could write it, and there's a HUGE trust factor that has to be present.
  • Not every student has access to a computer at home.
As you can see, there's positive and negative.  For right now, I'm in the middle.  I'll give an update as to the success or failure later in the week.

How about you?  Any opinions on online word processing? (For the record, I'm using Google Docs right now.)  Let me know...

No comments:

The Difference Between 3 and 33