Sunday, March 8, 2009

Digital Stories-The Sequel

This week, we continued on with working on digital stories. Our group had decided to go on a humorous route, and we created ours on the day in the life of a cat. We then met in class, and put it all together. As we did this, I learned a few new things.

1. Record by yourself-It's a lot more difficult to get good sound quality when 4 other groups are doing the same thing as you do.
2. Be prepared, and then some-We had the photos on box.net, which we couldn't download onto voicethread.com. We had to pull the photos off of box, throw them on a flash drive, and then put them on voicethread. Guess I should've used flickr...
3. Practice, practice, practice-We went over the script several times to get the time of the presentation down. We currently time out at 3 minutes, which is the maximum. Also, we edited the script several times, as there were many things that didn't work when it was time to perform.
4. Save your work OFTEN-It's very easy to lose your work on voicethread if you haven't navigated it before.

Overall, though, it went well, and we got it done. I attempted to embed it in my blog; feel free to take a look if you'd like.

As for this week, the idea that got planted in my head is the idea of creating a "Create Your Own Adventure." I used to remember reading those as a kid, and what stopped me from creating them was the complexity of trying to organize one. Nowadays, you can get a website for free in many spots, and you can organize an open-ended adventure through the website. I'm going to try to create one on my own, and if it proves successful, I'm going to expand this to the students.

Complex, huh?

Well, that's all for now. Please comment if you like.

No comments:

The Difference Between 3 and 33