Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Digital Storytelling

This week's course covered the idea of digital storytelling. For me, this is a very interesting concept, and something that I want to instill in my class before the end of the year.

Right now, that's a difficulty. Not because of the kids, not because of the equipment, and not due to anything negative. Simply put, right now I'm a "stay at home" dad until April. As a result, I can't put these goals into motion just yet. However, this time can be effective and important.

First and foremost, I'm using this time as a method of experimentation. Before I go off and assign this to my students, I want to run though it to see which roadblocks the kids will have to overcome when it's their turn. For right now, I need to make sure that my school can access a photo sharing website (my district blocks anything deemed a "social" network), or they may need to have a flash drive to contain their photos. Also, they will need access to a site that may help in designing a digital story. We're working on that in class right now; again, I need to make sure that I can download it and use it on my school's computers.

Finally, I need to practice what I preach; if I want the kids to plan ahead, then I need to do the same. That's what I'm doing this week for my epic story of the day in the life of a cat. Compelling, huh? Anyway, I'm busy as can be trying to get all of this done while taking care of my 2 month old son. That way, if I can accomplish it, I know that my kids can, too.

Why do this? Power Points can be repetitive. Before I went on leave, we went through inventor presentations with the 6th grade. By the 3rd day, it became pain-inducing, and I was the teacher! I wanted to make sure that the students get opportunities to present something original and creative. This is their chance.

Overall, I'm looking at this class with a lot of enthusiasm. No, I'm not brown-nosing! This is why I went back to get my Masters. I want to do things that I don't know how to do, and this was one of them. I'd love to talk more, but I need to get a shot of a cat's POV on napping. Hmmmm, what did I get myself into....

No comments:

The Difference Between 3 and 33