Sunday, January 31, 2010

Leadership Positions---The Realities and Responsibilities...

This week's class dealt with items that pop up when being a leader. In the readings, items such as interview teams popped up, which made me reflect upon my times interviewing for positions, and most certainly the interviews that will be in my future. Reading the attributes that are recommended when interviewing, I saw a few qualities that I feel that I have and some that I feel I lack. However, something must've stood out, because I've been hired a few times (I have yet to be fired, though. Let's keep that streak alive...)

Another part that stood out to me was the non-verbal communication that we give off. That's something that, in my circles, I'm notorious for. I'm not the kind to roll my eyes at someone, but apparently, I've always been one who isn't good at hiding irritation or anger. One of my old college roommates would always joke about seeing "the face", something that signaled to him that the meeting wasn't going well (we participated in many groups and activities during college...) It made me think---does the principal recognize any non-verbal signals that I do? What about the Literacy Coach? That's something that I need to keep an eye on...

Finally, the idea of data retreats was brought up. As part of my Learning Team, I'm looking at data for the entire school on a weekly basis. As a teacher, I look at it daily. I'm taking part of this course as an opportunity to try and improve my skills at data research. In other words, can I narrow my time dealing with data by narrowing focus onto data pieces that are important to the good of the school? Or am I just looking at a piece of the big picture? Sometimes, I tend to focus on my own little piece of the pie, instead of taking a step back and looking at EVERYTHING. Again, I'm hoping that this class gives me some strategies to use for a long time.

Well, that's all that I have for now. As always, leave me a message or an idea if I missed out on something. Later...

2 comments:

CCMJ said...

Once again you are right on. I often at data meetings raise the question, are we look at the forest or the trees. That analog helps me to focus the task - bg picture or individual.

As always, great reflections
cj

Adablog said...

"The Face" - I will avoid looking directly at you for fear of the face. Great insights both perspectively and retrospectively.

The Difference Between 3 and 33